This is one of my favourite Vegan dishes, that I have served to many a guest at my house and it always is well received; even my fussy toddler will eat it! It’s based on a Jamie Oliver recipe from his budge series.
The fab thing about this dish is it is very versatile, you can serve it with so many things: cous cous, rice, in a pitta/wrap, with some roasted veg… Tonight I served it with some giant cous cous (which is my favourite way to serve it)
This recipe serves 3-4
What you need:
- 1 butternut squash cut in to chunks
- 1 onion diced
- a handful of raisins
- 1/3 of cup of olives chopped roughly
- 1 can of chickpeas (drain off the aquafaba and save to use as an egg replacement)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 300ml of Veggie stock
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp of Smoked Paprika (choose what type depending on your taste and how spicy you want it)
- 2 tsp of Cinnamon
Now do this:
- Roast the Butternut Sq at approx. 160c for an hour or until soft and just starting to catch on the edges.
- Saute the onions in the oil for 10 minutes on a low heat, half way through add the raisins.
- Add the olives to the onions
- Add the spices to the onions, continue to cook for another 2 minutes on a low heat
- Add the Butternut Sq to the onion and spices, stir to make sure the spices coat the butternut sq
- Ad the tomatoes, stock and chickpeas. Stir to combine and turn up to a mid heat to boil and for a further 5 minutes, then reduce for approx. 30 minutes till it turns into a thick glorious stew
- Prepare and cook cous cous (or whatever you have decided to serve it with…)
Let me know what you thought of this recipe!